Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Change of Heart

I just finish reading Jodi Picoult 'Change of Heart'. That is a very impressive and persuasive novel. I like the way Picoult questions at mankind. Let's keep aside the plot of the story, what I really want to write about this book is the way we look at human.

How do we define a bad guy? By their looks? Their professions? Or by your heart? To say it selfishlly, most of us judge by looks. How much do we really trust a person, let it be your closest friend? The society perspective often leads us to a same judgement. People with darker skin tend to be bad guy. People with slobby clothes are poor.

There's an incident in ICA when I need to take a photoshot at a studio there. The person before me is a handsome Ang Moh. Ok, I agree he is slightly more polite than me. But from the bottom of my heart, I dun think that is the reason why we are treated differently by the lady who helped us take photo. When is the Ang Moh turn, she smiled at him, service 100% perfect, helped him to adjust his position to get the best shot. But when is my turn, her attitude is like 180 degree change, I guess I didn't do anything to her before. Without any smile on her face, she just said: Dun move, flip your hair to the side.... Be it my own suspicious mind or watever, he is human, so am I? Then why are we treated differently?? Does he pay u more for the photo shot, or just the reason as simple as because of skin color?

I hate the mention of skin color. I hate even more the mention as second class citizen. There is all about races, religions. So, to be truthful, if there is a chance, do we get to choose where we are born? what are our skin color? Then, what the reason to make someone so special as the privileged citizens?

When someone mentioned statement like: Indian come to this country as beggar; Chinese esp gals as prostitute. These racist remarks as surprisingly, doesn not really affect me. I guess I have immuned to such things happen in my country, or is that another way saying I am abandoning my homeland? But the first thing that came into my mind, I feel ashamed of my country, I feel sorry for the person who said this, I feel sorry for him as one of the country leadermen, but show nothing except his brainless thinking. Resign doesn't mean to show your heroin acts. It doesn't really matter he left or not from this government, since most of them are of the same kind. 多一个,少一个,也没分别。He is just making fool of himself.

There is always unfairness in this world. As long as you are happy satisfied with your life now. I guess that is already a great life you are living. So, live it! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment